Today we need everything reliable and accelerated, so to attain prompt results we are using varied automation testing tools. An automation tool is a piece of software that is run with little human interaction. Different testing tools are used for automation/manual testing, unit testing, performance, web, mobile, etc., more to that we have some open source testing tools as well.
Overview of Automation Testing Tools
The utmost ordinary software which is used by users for automation testing is Selenium. It is the more suitable, portable, and powerful open-source testing option for web applications. Selenium itself is an automation testing tool that is also compatible with other automation testing frameworks as well such as Katalon Studio, Robot, and more.
- Generate reports to verify by testing frameworks
- Provides the functionality of WebDriver API
- Operates on Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, Internet Explorer, Safari, etc.
- Hazelle free process as server installation is not mandatory
- Increases efficiency as parallel test execution is supported
Ranorex is a compact and all-purpose tool for desktop, web, and mobile application testing. It has an agreeable user interface which makes the tool straightforward to use for learners or trainees. As Ranorex has a base of Selenium it consists of a combination of UI instinctive, content age, and playback alternative which makes the complex mechanism testing situations in a simpler manner.
- Team collaboration is possible without workflow segmentation
- Supports automated test for desktop, web with a mobile app but other tools do not
- A keyboard-driven test is allowed
- Processed automation on basis of Image
- Ease in automation testing due to user-friendly UI
Appium is similar to Selenium which works and supports hybrid and mobile web applications for both iOS and Android platforms. Appium is a framework based on a cross-browser platform as it gives identical flexibility in testing on both platforms. As having this amount of standard, tools such as Katalon studio and some others are constructed on Appium.
- Katalon Studio
In Katalon Studio, an Automated tests script can be created and also reused for UI without the use of code which also has a vast number of integrations as related to Selenium.
Tester with less technical expertise can also work fluently with Katalon as it is exempted from coding also termed as Dual Scripting.
- Smart wait function which ensures the entire front-end mechanism
- Parallel execution accompanied by qTest specialized for QA team
- Collection of Tests and its reports can be generated in PDF, HTML formats
- Maintained simplicity for beginners and advanced users
Cucumber is not different from above as an open-source testing tool that delivers documentation, testing as well as help in development attained by the Behaviour Driven Development (BDD) framework. Cucumber has an upper hand due to its support of varied software platforms such as Selenium, Ruby, Spring, Watir, etc. and it also serves reusability.
- Functionality expressed in Simple English text (Gherkin language)
- Construction of test script is effortless
- Test framework is end to end differ from other tools
- Subject 7
Subject7 is a commercial platform that runs on a cloud-based system. Subject7 delivers end-to-end testing consist a chain of commands which binds the web with automation testing services (Rest and SOAP), mobile, desktop, database, and a lot more.
Selenium and Appium lag here but Subject7 prevails by featuring an interface, which is simple.
- Blend with JIRA, Jenkins, and REST.
- Open source resembling Selenium and Appium
- Effortless for people possessing different backgrounds.
Likewise, a few software Leapwork is not dissimilar as the requirement of writing codes for performing tests is not mandatory. Flowcharts on canvas are constructed to display test frameworks by positioning effective building blocks together.
Leapwork maintains its level which comprises a codeless backup of UI automation that can serve the purpose of automating tests for all which is empowered by a visual language.
- Endorse end-to-end engineering
- Data-controlled automation testing
- Enterprise-Grade manifesto
- Consolidate with CI/CD
- Accelerating rectification with visual authentication
- HPE Unified Functional Testing (UFT)
- Integration through HP LoadRunner and HP ALM.
- Assist pilot testing
- Unifies with Jenkins for backing CI
- Develop API tests from WADL records
- IBM Rational Functional Tester (RFT)
RFT maintains the ability of graphic description testing. Operators can generate tests by securing the script potential of RFT by rendering automatic alterations. Furthermore, consolidate with lifecycle control equipment.
- Upholds storyboard testing- the activity executes on AUT (Application Under Test) is entered as a sequence of frame developing a story.
- Supports rationalized automation with the search term or keyword testing
- Supply real-time data approval wizard
SoupUI is not in a category of an automation testing mechanism, it also can be employed to examine API and assistance. This software supports the dual purpose of serving as SOAP along with REST. This is a tool consisting of a prepared API suite volunteered by SmartBear. It offers robotic-assisted load testing, mechanical effective testing, and coherence testing.
- Utilizable scripts
- Self-paced testing
- Employs drag and drop, point, and click for establishing tests.
- Reversion testing
- Cross break analyzing
- Equivalent examination
- Comprehensive records to resolve the error right away
- Apache Jmeter
The tool is a prevalent choice for the majority of developers and testers considering it is flimsy and possesses an easy-to-handle operating section.
Apache unified with CI tools such as Jenkins which is frequently applied as DevOps toolchain. Several modern features have also been attached to this when updated such as JMESPath extractor, JDBC improvements, HTTP Samplers with numerous others.
- Tricentis Tosca
Tricentis Tosca states wide-ranging properties for constant testing as it provides a universal set of tools for testing information and data analysis.
Tosca features utilities such as dashboards, analytics, integration, and circulated executions.
Tool upholds an array of technicalities and apps like API and others aiding clients to improve the reusability of test resources.
- Embeds CID and DevOps applications
- Handy interface
- Works on web, mobile, and API aperitifs
Watir supports IE on windows along with WebDriver it also sustains Firefox, Opera, and HTML unit of Headless search engines. It unlocks the aspect to connect with the database and understand transfer or flat files coupled with excel which is significant for data-driven testing. An identical quality is also present which is dominate by Cucumber and others of integrating through BDD tools.
- Formation of code as multi-use libraries
- Possibility of integrating with Cucumber
- Can establish testing with the help of data
- Robot Framework
Robot Framework offers unrestricted access to automated testing software. It has a keyword-determined method for final testing and acceptance test-driven development (ATDD).
Powered with Selenium WebDriver as an external library. In addition, this tool can be prolonged by utilizing Java and Python. Robot facilitates a framework for diverse automation requirements.
The verifiers can uphold the advantage of this automation tool for network testing in conjunction with Android and iOS test automation.
- Easy Tabular Structure
- Data-driven Test circumstances
- Generic test libraries
- Work on the platform of Android and iOS as well.
Lambda Test cloud-based across varied testifiers. Moreover, it even checks for sensitivity and full paged automated imaging. Maintain its position by supporting Windows, Mac, Android, and iOS. Lambda Test permits testing with ease on the updated versions of browsers on mobile and desktop.
- Locally hosted pages testing
- Web-based consistency testing
- Intelligent visual relapse testing
- One-click bug registering
Mabl is end-to-end test automation without any script. It uses the mechanism of machine learning models which aids in rectifying errors quickly.
Mabl shows a quick response in evaluating the bugs and repairs them before the user encounters any trouble. Additionally, it blocks bad releases as it calculates automated regression tests.
The tool is armed with a delivery pipeline therefore whenever your UI goes under some change it refreshes as quickly as possible maintaining the tests.
- TestCafe Studio
TestCafe Studio is a cross-browser commercial platform that provides end-to-end web testing. Matching with the duo on the list, this is not different for non-coders. It allows you to create, run, and preserve automated web tests with zero code.
It is a cross-platform and cross-browser platform to optimize tests on WebDriver, macOS, Linux, Android, and iOS. Even it runs these stages mainly on Chrome, Firefox, Safari, Edge, and IE.
TestCraft is a codeless automation tool created on Selenium, as a result, there are not any particular programming skills are necessary for using it along with inventing fully automated tests without coding. Leverage knowledge of manual testers and facilitates them to enhanced automated test scenarios.
Test craft is energized by AI and its singular modeling allows for quicker creation and execution of testing tools which in turn eliminates test maintenance.
Lastly, it allows the scripts to adjust automatically as per the particular changes. It integrates with CI/CD that allows finding bugs and fixing them faster which strengthen the quality of digital products.
- QMetry Automation Studio
QMetry Automation Studio is highly appreciated by developers and testers as this enclosed test automation, test management, and quality analytics everything.
All this helps in upbringing efficiency to automation tools. It is driven on Eclipse IDE and two primary open-source frameworks: – Selenium and Appium.
QMetry sets out a unique solution for Omnichannel, multi-device, and multi-locale cases as it supports web, mobile native, and mobile web.
The appropriate option for automated test tools, testing procedures, and teams is beneficial for automated testing to be effective.
How to select the relevant Test Automation Tool
There are so many options to choose test automation tools, but the question remains that How? Based on which factor?
Mostly you can choose from 3 prominent factors.
- Target platform
- Learning curve
- Money matters
The first factor is easy to understand if the product is a desktop application, then all automation tool works only for mobile and web are categorized automatically.
The second factor is based on how fast you want your fellow members to rise above and thrive. Maybe it makes sense for a team to take their time learning the tool because of its advantages.
Lastly, no matter how popular or sophisticated a tool is if it’s expensive then why stop. In the pool of tools, many of them are available for free or have a free tier, which allows you to at least try them before making a final call.